My Version/Study of Rembrandt’s Portrait

After eight days of study, beginning with a charcoal drawing, a Verdaccio underpainting, and finally adding color, I am happy to say that this is complete. I could have gone in with more details but I chose to leave it as. The medium used was a mix of Venetian turpentine, damar varnish, and linseed oil. I learned so much using this process and will be doing this again in the future. I am curious to see how this old master’s technique and medium may be applied to a landscape painting. I guess I will find out soon!

rembrant painted complet July 14 2017 watermark

Finished painting….

 

 

Here are some progress pics:

rembrandt drawing 3.jpg

Charcoal underpainting and beginning of the Verdaccio painting….

Rembrant painting in progress.jpgHere I used many colors to create the illusion of natural flesh. The same color in the background was used in the face.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s